If you’re thinking of tiling a backsplash in the kitchen, you should know that it’s the best thing you can do to upgrade and renovate your kitchen. Tiling a backsplash can benefit your kitchen and protect it from looking old and unfashionable. It even protects the walls from water damage also.
It’s an inexpensive way to upgrade your kitchen look. You can also use glass backsplash tile for the kitchen to make it look even fancier. It is a practical way to change the look of your kitchen which is also decorative enough to attract the attention of others.
Types Of Tile For The Backsplash Of Your Kitchen
When you’re going to tile a backsplash in kitchen you need to know about the tile for kitchen backsplash ideas. It would be helpful for you to know the options you can choose. Backsplash can cover your entire kitsch walls or just the area between the cabinets and countertops. But you should know about the options you have.
- Neutral: You can go for the Neutral ones. The patterned tiles which are neutral in color provide the kitchen with a warm look.
- Sky-high: If you’re not sure about which option to choose, you can go with the sky-high one which runs the tiles up to the ceiling of the kitchen. That way the tiling delivers a more sophisticated look.
- Tiny triangles: this tiling idea adds just the right amount of color to the kitchen.
- Painted glass: if you’re going for glass backsplash tile for kitchen, it is a perfect idea. It provides a modern and shinier touch to the place.
Installation Of Backsplash In Kitchen
When you’re thinking of titling a backsplash in the kitchen, it is obvious that the question of how to install a backsplash is something that must be bothering your mind.
But not anymore, as over here you’ll have all the information about how to tile a backsplash. Installation of backsplash is a multiple-step process. The steps are:
- Measuring the wall is the first step to knowing its size which will also help in determining the number of tiles needed.
- Prepping the wall to make it ready is the next step of installation.
- It is washed and cleaned and the holes are patched with spackling paste.
- Marking the starting points and ending points after placing the tiles comes next.
- The next step is to cut the tiles to make them fit properly.
- Prepare the mortar and then apply it to the wall.
- Then place the tiles properly in their places.
- Use a pre-sealer for three hours before applying grout.
- Mix and prepare the grout and then apply it to the tiles.
- Clean and remove the excess grout and keep it for at least three days.
- When it’s dry apply a grout sealer to protect it from staining. You can also put some latex caulk to the base and it’s done.
Procedure To Cut Backsplash Tiles
If you’re wondering how to cut backsplash tiles, you have the answer here.
After you take the measurements of the tiles, you need to cut them so that they’re perfectly fit to be installed. To cut them, you need to place the tiles on the wet saw tray and then use a grease pencil to mark the lines at the ends.
Then you need to turn on the saw and push the tiles through the blades until the extra portion is cut off and made fit to be installed. Then turn off the saw and double-check the layers and the size of the tiles and then install it.
Benefits Of Tiling A Backsplash
Tilting a backsplash in l kitchen is a great idea to prevent your kitchen from getting damaged over time. It not only adds aesthetic value but protects the kitchen from excessive heat and moisture.
Even damages from water can cause the walls to look old and worn which is why tiling a backsplash in kitchen is the perfect option. Some of the benefits of titling a backsplash in kitchen:
- It protects your kitchen from getting damaged due to excessive moisture.
- Tiles make it easier to clean your kitchen.
- It also increases the value of your home and provides it with a classy look.
- It’s affordable and easy to replace.
- It has an easy installation procedure.
- It also protects the walls from getting damaged due to water misuse in the kitchen.
How Much Time Does It Take To Install A Backsplash In The Kitchen?
Are you wondering if tiling a kitchen backsplash in one day is possible? You should know that it’s a multi-step procedure that takes time to be done perfectly? The size of the kitchen is what it depends on.
When tiling a backsplash, the professionals make it ready for installation by preparing the surface. They prep the surface to ensure that it’s clean, flat, and completely ready for the installation of the tiles. After that, they install the tiles step by step.
A professional tiler takes an average time of two days to install a backsplash in the kitchen.
But there are methods and techniques to make tilting a kitchen backsplash in one day possible. The installation of adhesive tile mats is much faster so using adhesive tiles mates can reduce the installation time to as short as a day.
Best Tiles To Consider For Backsplash
If you’re wondering about tiles for kitchen backsplash ideas, here you can find your answer.
You can choose any style and size of tiles you think brightens your place. The main detail to keep in mind while choosing is that the tiles are hard to wear and compliment your kitchen. The most popular styles are ceramic tiles but there are several other options. You can take a look at the following list to find out.
- Mosaics: This one has been around for ages and its timeless design is what people get attracted to.
- Porcelain tiles: They are stronger and hard-wearing than any tiles as they are made from clays which are baked longer and at a higher temperature than other tiles.
- Glass tiles: As the glass tiles provide the kitchen with a more clear and shiny appearance, it’s often preferred by people.
Cost Of Installing A Backsplash In Kitchen
When considering the installation of a backsplash in the kitchen, you must be wondering about the cost of tiling a backsplash in kitchen.
Installing a backsplash is an inexpensive method that can upgrade your kitchen and provide it with a new look. The cost may vary depending on the type of tiles you’re using. But to state a rough estimation, it cost $4000 to $6000 per sixteen square feet on average, excluding the labor rate or wage.
It will cost a little more for the high-quality tiles. Even the cost depends upon the materials used, color, size, and pattern.
So it will cost you around $10 to $40 per square foot. The rates vary widely with the durability, type, size, pattern, and quality of the tiles.
At an average rate, a professional tiler will charge you around $400 to install a kitchen backsplash. So you always need to assess the labor charges when you’re thinking of tiling a backsplash in kitchen.
Tips To Know When Choosing Tiles For Backsplash
If you’re thinking of tiling a backsplash in the kitchen, here are some tips for you to know:
- You need to consider the difference in qualities between the tiles.
- Know your budget and choose accordingly.
- Decide the surface where you want to apply the tiles.
- Know what suits your lifestyle best.
- Decide the size of your tiles.
Steps To Prepare A Kitchen Wall For Backsplash
Before you backsplash tiles on kitchen walls, you need to prep them. It has to be done correctly so that when placing the tile, it gets fits easily.
The steps mentioned below have the answer to the question of how do you prepare a kitchen wall for a backsplash.
- You have to patch if it has any holes using spackling paste and then use sandpaper to smooth the surface out.
- You need to use a mild soap and water to clean the surface and then let it dry. Check for stains behind the stove too and clean it off.
- If the wall is painted, you need to wipe it down using trisodium phosphate.
- If you have a glossy surface, then it should be sanded and be glossed.
- Then for the final step wipe the wall with a dry cloth or a damp sponge.
When you’re done with these steps, then you can be sure that it’s now ready for a backsplash.
Placements Of Backsplash In My Kitchen
If you’re wondering about the spots where you can place the backsplash, here’s a guideline for you to follow.
You must put a backlash to those places where you’ll prepare food. You can also use it on the spot between upper and lower cabinets. You don’t need to put a backsplash behind your freeze unless you think it’s necessary.
You need to mark the end of the backsplash at the point where there’s a cabinet. You don’t even need to put a backsplash behind hood vents and cooktops.
These backsplashes are mainly to protect your walls from getting affected by the heat, water splash, and food stains.
Tools And Materials Require To Tile A DIY Backsplash
If you’re planning to tile a DIY backsplash here’s a list of tools at materials you would need.
- 4in 1 screwdriver
- Caulk gun
- Grout floor
- Non-contact voltage tester
- Notched trowel
- Rubber mallet
- Self-centering drill bit
- Tape measure
- Utility knife
Materials required :
- Grout sealer
- Outlet extenders
- Stone tile sealer
- Tile spacers
What Are The Two Starting Points Of Backsplash?
If you have a question in your mind about where do I start tiling splashback here you’ve got the answer. You should know that there are several ways or methods which you can use to determine the starting point. You can consider the center or choose a focal point to start tiling.
When you consider the center point to start, it helps you keep the lines even and symmetrical. You can try this method when you’re installing basic subway tiles and larger tile sheets both.
You can begin your task from a focal point when you’re working with an intricate pattern. But it’s important to know that you shouldn’t start the process from an end which would only make the entire look uneven and sloppy.
1.Should My Backsplash Match My Kitchen Cabinets?
If you’ve your kitchen cabinets in a lighter shade, you should choose a darker shade of tile. It’s so to balance the light and dark shade of the kitchen elements and bring depth to the design.
So, if you have any dark cabinets and countertops, you should choose a light backsplash to balance out the shades.
2.What Are Some White Kitchen Cabinets Backsplash Ideas?
- You can use iridescent tiles.
- Use the Herringbone pattern.
- You can also choose the fish scale design.
- Go for grey retro.
- You can opt for opulence.
- You can go for hexagon marble.
- Gold grout is also an option.
Which Tile Is The Best For The Kitchen Backsplash?
Glass tile is the obvious answer to this question. It is the best one for mixing and matching. It provides the kitchen with a modern-looking shiny surface. As it’s naturally resistant to water and bacteria, it can be effortlessly cleaned.
Should I Put A Different Backsplash Behind The Stove?
As the area behind the stove gets affected the most by moisture, heat, and food pattern, it’s a great idea to put a tile backsplash behind the stove only to make it easier to clean off the stains. It also makes the surface fireproof and attractive.
What Are Some Backsplash Ideas For Dark Cabinets And Light Countertops?
Both your cabinets and countertops should complement the kitchen. So when you’re light countertops, a marble color backsplash will suit perfectly.
As the wooden cabinets have darker shades, the white or marble shade of the backsplash will balance out the difference to give it an attractive look.
Tiling a backsplash in the kitchen is the best method you can apply to upgrade as well as renovate your kitchen. As it protects your kitchen from being affected by food stains, heat, and moisture, it makes it easier to maintain a decent-looking kitchen.
So, if you’re thinking of back-splashing your kitchen tiles, you should go ahead with it.
keep reading-DIY Terracotta Pot Heater And Its Usage