Squirrel is a member of the Sciuridae family of rodents, which includes small and medium-sized rodents, and is a member of the rodent family. There are many different types of squirrels, including flying, ground, and tree squirrels. Squirrels are native to Africa, America, and Asia, and Australia was the country that first brought them to society.
Small animals like squirrels have an adorable appeal that makes us all adore them. They might however transform into tiny monsters and start damaging your possessions. Making your own handmade squirrel traps can come in handy if you frequently come into contact with wild squirrels.
Let’s face it, catching a wild squirrel only by hand is extremely challenging or practically impossible. Consequently, setting a trap is the quickest and most efficient approach to capturing them. For your personal convenience, you must understand how to manufacture a homemade squirrel trap because building one is relatively less expensive than buying one.
We’ve provided a step-by-step tutorial for making a simple but effective squirrel trap below.
- Take a plastic tubing that is 4-6 feet long and 6-8 inches wide or has enough space to contain a squirrel. Properly attach a wire mesh at one end of the tube with a wire or glue.
- Cover the inner side of the tube with some cooking oil, to prevent the squirrel from climbing out.
- Set the trap at the targeted area and keep the mesh part on the lower side.
- Put some sunflower seeds or corn at the bottom then just wait for the squirrel to enter the tube.
- Once you caught it, cover the open end of the tube, and release the squirrel in a safe place.
And that is all you are required to do for making a homemade squirrel trap.
Squirrel Prevention Tips
There are several humane ways through which you can get rid of squirrels. Here are some effective tips for squirrel prevention without doing any kind of physical harm to these little creatures.
- Using hot peppers. Squirrels do not like the taste or fragrance of capsaicin present in hot peppers. You can use this as an advantage by spreading some chili flakes or cayenne pepper around the targeted area.
You can even grow some hot chili peppers for keeping the squirrels far from your plants.
- Keep your surroundings as clean as possible. Squirrels get attracted to the smell of trash and food. Use trash cans with tight lids and don’t leave any food or waste exposed, this way the squirrels will get disinterested in your property.
- Place a decoy. Get some rubber snakes or raisin owls and put them in the target area. These will scare the squirrels and stop them from entering your property. Change their places regularly.
- Plants some squirrel-repellent flowers. Growing allium flowers such as snowdrops, hyacinths, daffodils, and marigolds will allow you to keep the squirrels out of your prosperity as they do not like these plants. Also, avoid planting plants such as geraniums, tulips, and crocuses, if you want to get rid of squirrels, because these plants attack them.
- Get some peppermint oil. It does not harm the squirrels but helps in keeping them away from your garden. All you have to do is spread some peppermint oil in the soil and on the leaves of your plants. You can mix it with some petroleum jelly and rub it on the stalks of your plants to get rid of the squirrels.
- Utilize apple cider vinegar. A repellent concoction can be made at home using apple cider vinegar. Mix some peppermint oil or cayenne pepper with apple cider vinegar and pour the mixture into a spray bottle, then spray it around the target area. The more unpleasant the scent, the better it will be.
- Use a commercial repellent. You can buy some commercial repellent sprays from gardening and home improvement stores. Those are made from the urine of squirrels’ predators, such as snakes, weasels, foxes, hawks, owls, etc. Spray the repellent regularly around the targeted area to prevent the squirrels from entering.
- Build squirrel-proof bird feeders. Changing the food will allow you to make your bird feeders squirrel-proof. Switching sunflower seeds (liked by squirrels) with safflower seeds (disliked by squirrels) will create disinterest in them, and benefit you in getting rid of them.
- Place motion-sensor sprinklers. Squirrels tend to be very fidgety. You can install sprinklers with motion-sensor technology around your garden. It will frighten the squirrels if they get closer. After experiencing this a few times, the squirrels will most likely completely avoid coming into that area.
- Grow some mint. Squirrels do not like the strong fragrance of mint, which discourages them from going near mint plants. Put a few fresh mint plants all around to get naturally rid of squirrels.
Try these tips at your convenience to get rid of the squirrels in a non-toxic way, without causing them any physical damage.
Facts You Didn’t Know About Squirrels
You may be surprised by the following interesting facts about squirrels that are listed below:
- The Greek word ‘Skiouros’ is the origin of the word ‘Squirrel’, and it means ‘shadow tail’. Apart from being the most striking part of the squirrels, their tail is also the source of their name.
- The nests of squirrels are called ‘dreys’. Their nests are compressed, have a spherical structure, are built with grass, twigs, leaves, and bark, and are generally made in the fork of tall trees.
- A squirrel can live between 8 to 16 years depending on its surroundings. In the wild, most squirrels fail to live past the first year. Due to the protection from predators, squirrels live longer when they stay in captivity.
- The four front teeth of the squirrels never stop growing. On one hand, it allows them to keep up their constant gnawing, and on the other hand, the continual drawing helps to keep their teeth sharp and short.
- Squirrels tend to acquire a well-organized defense system. Being a predator themselves, squirrels have to keep an eye on their backs to not be a snack of bigger predators. Moreover, squirrels utilize their claws for defense.
- Squirrels are able to identify ripe nuts by utilizing their strong sense of smell. They can also recognize a hollow acorn or hazelnut by analyzing the weight of the nut. For finding the nuts they’ve buried, squirrels use a combination of smell, memory, and observation of disrupted soil.
- Some squirrels eat meat too. They generally eat seeds, plants, and other small animals to satiate hunger. However, their meal preference varies depending on their types and surroundings.
- Squirrels like to devour berries, nuts, tree bark, leaves, and flowers. Insects, eggs, and caterpillars – are some of their animal food sources. They are able to eat equal to their body weight, in a week.
- Squirrels accidentally help in planting trees. They store nuts and acorns to ensure their survival in the course of winter. The majority of the squirrels do not dig up all their buried nuts, which eventually grow into trees. This way, squirrels play a significant role in increasing the number of oak trees.
- Squirrels are very talkative. They like to communicate through high-frequency chirps. They use an extensive range of calls, like territorial barks and quacking sounds. However, their main form of communication is through their tail movements. Squirrels utilize their tails as signaling devices, quivering them whenever they are suspicious of threats.
- Tree squirrels generally live solitary lives. The majority of adult squirrels avoid other animals and live alone. However, winter brings out some different behaviors in otherwise solitary animals. In the cold weather, they commonly make loose groups for traveling, securing resources, dividing up work, creating warmth, and taking care of the younger ones.
A type of ground squirrel, named Prairie dog, commonly lives in big communities containing hundreds of members. They are exceptionally social. Living in a big group allows the ground squirrels to vocalize, play, and communal groom. In addition, male ground squirrels assist in taking good care of the young squirrels.
More About Ground Squirrel Trap
Ground squirrels as the name indicate, are a breed of squirrels that generally live on or in the ground rather than in trees. Traps are practical when the number of squirrels varies from moderate to low.
Though because of some legal obstacles, the live catch is not applicable. But, for catching ground squirrels, various ground traps are available in the market.
Do Squirrels Learn To Avoid Traps?
Squirrels are one of the most intelligent animals and there have been instances where it is found that the squirrel has escaped from the trap. Especially Red Squirrel is most skillful in escaping. So, it is very true that squirrels learn to avoid traps and they escape even after being trapped.
Are Squirrels Hard To Trap?
Undoubtedly, squirrels are hard to trap. It is quite impossible to catch squirrels by hand, so there comes various traps to catch squirrels, there are different kinds of traps each having special features in order to catch squirrels of different types, like the ground squirrel, tree squirrel, and red squirrel.
How To Trap Squirrels?
Since it is nearly impossible to catch squirrels by hand, using a squirrel trap is typically preferable. Depending on the size of the squirrels, specific traps made of card boxes, plastic pipes, and wires have been created. Here are the steps for catching squirrels.
- Firstly, a trap of any kind needs to be bought and placed in the household corners.
- To attract the squirrel, baits need to be given which may include grains, nuts, and so on.
- The trap must be placed in such a way that the squirrel can easily see the bait and fall into the trap.
- After placing the whole setup, one needs to keep an eye on the trap regularly, and for sure, the squirrel will fall into the trap.
These are the steps that need to be followed to trap squirrels, and using a trap, has been quite successful in catching ground squirrels.
How Do You Catch A Squirrel Without A Trap?
It is possible to catch a squirrel without a trap indoors. All that is required, is to lure the squirrel with food, especially by using peanut butter, grains, and small nuts. These foods will serve as the bait for the squirrel and they will come near the corners, where the food is being placed.
Carefully, by using safety gloves, because squirrels have sharp nails and can scratch if they find they are in danger of being trapped, need to grab hold of the squirrel. By this, one can catch a squirrel without a trap.
Can A Glue Trap Catch A Squirrel?
A glue trap is basically a normal trap that uses glue, adhesive material, or any similar viscid substances as a mode of capturing or trap animals, rodents, and insects. Nowadays, glue traps have become more common in capturing squirrels, but it is not preferred to use a glue trap.
It is found, that the skin of the squirrels gets affected by the adhesive that is present. But definitely, if there is no other choice, one can surely use a glue trap to catch a squirrel.
What Is The Best Way To Catch A Squirrel In The House?
For indoors, that is in the house, the best way to catch a squirrel is by using squirrel traps. It is easy and of no danger. If one tries to catch a squirrel by hand, the person might get injured, but using a trap, almost provides a cent percent assurance that the squirrel will definitely fall into the trap.
Therefore, the best way to catch a squirrel in the house is by using any kind of squirrel trap.
What Food Is Irresistible To Squirrels?
While setting up the entire trap for squirrels, it is very important to choose the right bait, that will lure the squirrels to come near the trap and get caught. It is found that squirrels are really attracted to peanut butter, so the best bait to trap squirrels is undoubtedly peanut butter.
Other than this, squirrels also get attracted to grains, and small nuts, so, these are the foods irresistible to squirrels.
What Is The Best Bait For Squirrel Trap?
Nuts, peanuts, and grains can be used as bait to trap squirrels but it is found, the best bait to trap squirrels is peanut butter. A spoonful of peanut butter on the trigger plate will surely lure the squirrels and would lead them into the trap.
- Homemade Possum Trap
A possum trap is a wire mesh box trap with a mess of less than 19mm square. A trap with a larger mess can injure the trapped possum. The trap basically has a spiral bait holder or a foot treadle with a spring-activated door. T
raps with bait hooks can cause serious injury and therefore, using a spiral bait holder, are the best homemade possum traps to get hold of the possums.
- Electric squirrel Trap
Electric squirrel traps are very dangerous and it basically kills the squirrels that get trapped inside the electric squirrel trap by electrocuting them. Electric traps use electricity to electrocute squirrels that crawl inside the trap. Therefore, it is not preferred to use an electric squirrel trap to catch squirrels.
- Homemade Squirrel Trap Bucket
The basic mechanism of a squirrel trap bucket is to use a bucket to trap the squirrel by using proper baits, that will lure the squirrel out of its hiding place. Here are the steps, on how to make a homemade squirrel trap bucket.
- Firstly, a bucket needs to be bought.
- Now, the bait which may be grains or small nuts needs to keep at the mouth of the bucket, and the bait will be attached to a string which in turn will hold the lid of the bucket.
- As soon as the squirrel will come to eat the bait, the pressure that will be exerted on the string wire, will pull the lid to close the mouth of the bucket.
- And, this will lead the squirrel to get trapped inside the bucket and the squirrel trap bucket mechanism will work out.
This is one of the best ways to catch squirrels, and afterward, the squirrels can also be released. This trap does not injure any squirrels and is considered the safest trap to catch squirrels.
How To Get Rid Of Ground Squirrels Permanently?
There have been instances, where squirrels spread diseases, so it must be kept in an account that the ground squirrels do not enter the house. Therefore, to get rid of ground squirrels, any of the following procedures can be used.
- Fumigation. It is the process of using disinfectants on a certain area, and this will eventually prevent the ground squirrels to get near the household, that is the place, where it will be applied.
- Trapping. As mentioned earlier, the best way to trap ground squirrels is by using a trap. Since the ground squirrels generally run all across the land, it is best to use a squirrel trap bucket or any other simple traps that can be placed on the ground near the corners.
- Baiting. It is a pre-step of trapping, as a perfect bait will lure the squirrels out of their place and will be trapped.
How Can You Put In A Trap To Catch A Squirrel?
The first and foremost thing that is important in trapping a squirrel is the use of suitable bait. Now, it is found that peanut butter is the best bait to trap squirrels, but other than that, grains, peanuts, and small nuts can also be used as bait because it lures the squirrels.
And, once the squirrel comes near the bait, they will be trapped. Therefore, proper bait must be placed in a trap to catch a squirrel.
Squirrels are kept as pets in many places but wild squirrels are not meant to be pets. The red squirrels, ground squirrels, and the other variety of squirrels need to be kept in control so that they do not get the chance to enter into the household and mess with all the stuff.
Therefore, to prevent the squirrels from entering indoors, special squirrel traps are being used like the glue trap, squirrel trap buckets, and so on.
In the previous subheads, there have been steps mentioned, and easy ways to trap a squirrel, and will surely help the ones who are trying to trap the squirrels because of their nature of messing up with everything.
Keep Reading-Benefits Of Rhubarb Juicing