Andrew and John were office colleagues. They were barristers by profession and soulmates by choice. They shared an apartment together.
It was a Sunday. They had a get together, all the other friends and office colleagues were invited. There were lavish arrangements from myriad variety to the best quality wines and also a number of other cocktails.
It was at the break of the day that the guests started arriving. Amidst all this suddenly at the moment when they started dinning, an uninvited dilemma arrived. The bottles of wine could not be opened because of a problem, while trying to open one of them the cork broke and the corkscrew was of no help. Damn! Such an insulting situation.
Hey guys, just take out a minute from your busy schedules and think if this is the trap that you would fall into when you would have your house full of guests?
Would that be a good thing?
No definitely not.
That’s the reason why we will be delving into the ways of opening bottles of wine without the help of corkscrews today.
|Table of content|
|TRY IT OUT|
|ADDING MORE TO IT.|
So, Let’s get into the motion.
TRY IT OUT.
How to open wine bottles without corkscrews?
Studies say that there are several ways in which bottles of wine can be opened without the usage of corkscrews.
And we are always there to help you, therefore, in today’s article we have thought of jotting down the various ways in which you can open bottles of wine without corkscrews.
Let’s check them out one by one.
- Use A Screw: a screwdriver and a hammer. You are supposed to take a long screw, screw it into the cork with the help of a screwdriver till there is only about an inch of the screw left showing then use the back side of the hammer fix it to the screw and pull the cork out.
The process needs you to be careful and resilient. And please forgive us because you might be sweating at the end!
- Use A Bike Pump: A bike pump that has a needle attached to it should be used. The process is to push the needle through the cork till it reaches the space between the cork and the wine, then fill up the space with air so that the air pressure helps the cork to move up and thus it will come out of the bottle.
- Use Keys And A Serrated Knife: fix the items into the cork in a forty-five-degree angle, then we are supposed to move the cork in a circular motion, this helps the cork to be twisted out slowly. You will find that the cork comes out completely after a couple of rotations. The cork needs to be handled with care even here too otherwise it would crumble.
- Push The Cork Into The Bottle Of Wine With The Help Of A Wooden Spoon : However, this method has some drawbacks too.
In case the wine is old the bottle may crumble and shed into the wine, it is painful we understand but when you are with your friends and are willing to drink the whole wine then a strainer can be used to strain the whole out of the bottle without the cork.
- Use A 2 Towel: Why 2?
two to be safe and wrap the bottom of the wine bottle and bang it against the wall. This may help in pushing the cork out.
The four above stated methods are extremely safe and needs the usage of only one or two tools available at home. The last one however is a bit dangerous and applying to much pressure can increase the risk by breaking the bottle down.
MORE WAYS TO EXPLORE
- One way is a bit similar to the last way out but this is safer than that. Here instead of slamming the towel wrapped bottle against the wall, we are supposed to hold it up-side down amidst our feet and slap the bottom with a shoe.
You are to do it properly so that whole thing does not come out at once or else you will be trapped in another unwanted mess, the wine will be all over the place and the rest you know!
- The next way is very good in case you have a blowtorch at home. Applying heat at the lower portion of the corkscrew from outside the bottle, helps the corkscrew to come out.
One reminder is, this is not the option to follow in case the bottle is cold, it would lead to bursting of the bottle due to the sudden change of temperature.
Therefore, it is advisable that you leave the bottle in a lukewarm environment so that its temperature normalizes in case it is cold.
These are some of the ways to uncork a wine bottle without a corkscrew.
ADDING MORE TO IT
In general, there are a number of ways in which wine bottles can be opened. Here we have jotted them down for you under one sub-heading. Check them out.
PRO_TIP: Some mechanicals tools are involved in the procedures.
- Opening bottles of wine with the help of corkscrews.
- Use a kitchen knife to score the foil at the first step. Place the knife under the lip of the wine bottle, pull off the score and throw it away.
- Place the corkscrew on the tip of the cork and push it down gently so that the metal cap surrounding the screw rests against the top of the bottle and the wings get lowered. Simply indent the top of the cork with the tip of the screw. There’s no need of embedding it hard.
- Using clockwise motions to drill the screw into the cork is the next step. Each time the corkscrew is twisted, the wings move upward and outward keep twisting till the wings extend completely. Thus, it will be at its ideal depth, drive it out.
- The last bit is to push down the wings and this brings the cork upward. If the cork isn’t quite free of the bottle yet, give the corkscrew a few wiggles and twists, then pull upward to finish removing the cork.
- The next step is to use a Sommelier Knife. You are supposed to cut the cork foil with the knife and then follow the previously mentioned steps of opening the cork with the help of a screw.
- The next way to open wine bottles is with the help of screw and pliers. The things that are needed is a 2 in 5.1 cm screws and a plier. Insert the screw into the cork complete and then attach he plier to the upper part of the screw and using clockwise circular motions would help the cork come out. A clean screw hook instead of a traditional screw can also be used.
- Banging the bottle with a shoe by holding it upside down in between both legs also help in opening the corks.
- Sometimes bottles do not come with corks. In that case removing the screw top caps either with hand by turning them in a clockwise motion helps. Otherwise, a plus can also be used.
If you are worried about the fact that you do not have an opener at home and therefore how to open wine bottles without openers, then we would suggest you to follow any one of the ways just mentioned in the above segment.
In case the bottle has a cork, a corkscrew will help otherwise we have also put forward ways to open a wine bottle without a corkscrew.
The last bit that we would like to put up is, if you guys do not have a corkscrew at home, A makeshift corkscrew will always be a great alternative. Generally, corkscrews aren’t complicated tools.
It’s just a screw with a grip, essentially. It was previously a military tool and if seventeenth century drinkers could repurpose a military tool to pop their bottles, twenty first century you can certainly work up an improvised corkscrew.
Things that you’ll require are a screw, a screw driver and a hammer.
The procedure is to screw down the screw into the cork with a screw driver and then fix a hammer at the top and keep yanking.
The Cork will eventually be pulled up.
Thus, this is today’s story in short.
Corkscrews were originally a military tool, humans used it purposively for opening bottles of wines. Therefore, what if a problem aroused in case when you my dear friend had been using to open a wine bottle with a corkscrew and the cork breaks not letting you to use the corkscrew anymore. What if you don’t have a corkscrew at home?
Here in this article, we have brought down all the ways in which wine bottles can be opened without corkscrews and also the procedure of opening wine bottles with the help of corkscrews in case everything is going right.
Hope the article be of some help to you dear buddy